MTI Motion designs and creates customized motion-control solutions for the world’s most demanding applications in numerous industries, including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation. Our innovative portfolio includes high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
The Corporate Controller will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will be the senior accounting leader for the company. MTI Motion is a global company with multiple locations and ledgers. The role will be responsible to ensure accurate financials, a strong control environment, improving processes, oversee global-accounting requirements and manage the accounting team. This role will also work with the leadership team to help achieve financial and operational plan objectives.
- Maintain the financial integrity of the organization with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and adequate financial controls that are established and maintained in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Prepare, lead review monthly closing activities, as well as financial reporting for both internal management team and corporate. Review monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and financial statements.
- Lead and manage all audits from external public audit firms, internal audit and any other audits.
- Ensure all AR and AP are collected and paid per contractual schedule. Improve payables and receivables processes and function to improve working capital.
- Manage and grow accounting function and staff. Ability to operate a strong team culture with collaboration, employee performance and distribution of work.
- Help the organization become highly data-centric with easy-to-access real-time information. Systems focused with strong expertise in ERP and system-based processes.
- Assist the CFO with the development and improvement of processes and capabilities across the Finance function.
- Maintain all fixed assets and depreciation schedules.
- Assists and performs various cost-accounting activities to ensure the ongoing accuracy of product cost information. Perform variance analysis and identify improvement opportunities. Provide insight into the product margins and production variances.
- KPI reporting and developing action plans to improve working capital and profitability.
- Lead and manage customer audit and/or government CAS audit.
- Assess requirements and analyze returns for investments needed in the business. Make the appropriate recommendations and financial return projections for capital investments and decisions.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required with an emphasis in accounting or finance; CPA preferred.
- At least 10 years of combined finance and accounting experience. A minimum of three to five years of experience as finance P&L lead or plant controller in a standard cost manufacturing environment, with an emphasis on controls, cost accounting, reporting and variance analysis.
- Must have technical skills and experience in financial reporting and audits for a publicly traded global company.
- Must have ability to develop knowledge of and work directly in ERP systems to extract information and identify opportunities to leverage systems more effectively.
- Experience working for a large public accounting firm is preferred.
- Strong GAAP and SOX knowledge/experience.
- Strong people manager.
- Must be a hands-on leader who demonstrates a willingness to dig into the details as needed to determine root cause and countermeasures.
- Continuous-improvement mindset. Process-focused. Targets breakthrough performance, not simply incremental gain.
- No-surprises approach; transparency on financial issues.
- Highly autonomous and self-directed.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to manage and develop staff.
- Technical acumen, creative thinking, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced computer skills with MS software (e.g., Excel, PowerPoint).
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity (EEOC) employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.
We will ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact MTI Motion to request accommodation.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
At MTI Motion, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or another role.