MTI Motion designs and creates customized motion-control solutions for the world’s most demanding applications in numerous industries, including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation. Our innovative portfolio includes high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
The Electromagnetic Design Engineer is responsible for the documentation and specification of magnetic assemblies for new and existing electric motors/coils/actuators in a cross-functional engineering team environment. This position has direct contact with the customers to understand their specification/needs and determine the best solution. The ideal candidate will approach the solution from a systems standpoint and be capable of leading the project through the design/development process. The candidate would take direction from the program manager or engineering director but needs to be capable of managing the day-to-day work on his/her own.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Take customer requirements and design an electromechanical device (motor, coil, actuator, etc.) to meet the specification.
- Work with the customer to define and refine their specifications based on physical requirements, electrical requirements, practical limitations and in-house manufacturing capabilities.
- Magnetic FEA modeling of various machine designs.
- Optimize machine design per the customer’s requirements.
- Revise magnetic models per test data and observations.
- Perform thermal and duty-cycle analysis of new machine designs.
- Specify and design relevant electronics for a customer’s machine design.
- Maintain project organization throughout the tollgate process.
- Experienced with troubleshooting various electrical and magnetic issues.
- Participate in floor operations to aid manufacturing, testing and troubleshooting activities.
- Work with product development project teams as the engineering design lead or in a design support role.
- Brainstorm and work collaboratively with various project teams.
- Participate in cost-reduction activities, component evaluations and other manufacturing initiatives to support continuous improvement.
- Occasional regional and international travel is required (up to 20%)
REQUIREMENTS & PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Engineering or equivalent experience is required.
- At least two years of experience in design, prototyping and project launches of electromechanical machines.
- Knowledge and experience designing some or all of the following machines: PMDC, BLDC (BPM), AC induction (single and three phase), AC permanent magnets and synchronous.
- Motor design analysis and/or magnetic FEA analysis. MotorCAD or SPEED magnetic modelling software experience is strongly preferred.
- Highly skilled at converting customer requirements into electro-mechanical solutions.
- Understanding quality requirements and how to implement them into the machine design.
- Highly adept at organizing projects from initial directives through fabrication, assembly, QC, prototyping and initial production.
- Self-starter attitude with attention to detail and a deep desire to problem solve.
- Willingness to collaborate and implement others’ ideas with the purpose of designing the best system for the customer.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and flexible to changing business demands.
- Experience in aerospace or military industry is a plus.
- Strong materials background preferred.
- Experience specifying and designing hall effect arrays and various associated electronics and circuity.
- Experience with resolvers, encoders and other feedback devices.
- Knowledge of AC/DC motor, solenoid and actuator controls.
- Hands on electric motor, solenoid and electromechanical design experience.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity (EEOC) employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.
We will ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact MTI Motion to request accommodation.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
At MTI Motion, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or another role.