MTI Motion designs and creates customized motion-control solutions for the world’s most demanding applications in numerous industries, including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation. Our innovative portfolio includes high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
The Principal Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for the technical oversight of multiple New Product Development (NPD) projects. These NPD projects include the mechanical design, documentation and specification of electrical machines for both new and existing electric motors/coil/actuator assemblies. This role requires the technical mentoring and guidance of other design engineers in the proper design of electric motors, coils and actuators. Additionally, this person would be directly responsible for marque NPD design projects.
This position has direct contact with the customers to understand their specification/needs and determine the best solution. The ideal candidate will approach the solutions from a systems standpoint and be capable of leading the project through the design/development process. The candidate would take direction from the program manager or engineering manager but needs to be highly autonomous and capable of directing projects from a technical perspective.
- Developing and executing a standardized method of electrical machine design throughout the department.
- Highly skilled at converting customer requirements into electromechanical solutions.
- Self-starter, capable of maintaining project organization throughout the New Product Development process.
- Responsible for CAD component and assembly modeling, drawing package creation and engineering specification creation.
- Understands the applications and implications of GD&T and its effects on the manufacturability and inspection of the parts.
- Able to generate tolerance stack-up studies for mechanical components and assemblies.
- Work with cross-functional NPD project teams as the engineering design lead or design oversight.
- Participate in hands-on troubleshooting activities, cost-reduction activities, component evaluations and other manufacturing initiatives.
- Collaborates with the test organization to define the testing requirements that align with customer specifications.
- Highly adept at organizing projects from initial directives through fabrication, assembly, QC, and initial production.
- Occasional regional and international travel is required (up to 20%).
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience is required.
- At least 10 years of experience in mechanical design and development with a strong emphasis in the manufacturing process. Electric machine (motor/generator), solenoid, electromechanical machines, gear or power-screw design experience a plus.
- Strong materials and finish background preferred.
- Experience in the aerospace or defense industry is a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience doing detailed CAD design. SolidWorks strongly preferred.
- A working knowledge of stress, strain FEA and thermal-analysis packages are available in SolidWorks is beneficial.
- Hands-on troubleshooting and design for manufacturability experience.
- Understanding quality requirements and how inspection will inspect a component-based on detailed drawing specifications/tolerances.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity (EEOC) employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.
We will ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact MTI Motion to request accommodation.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
At MTI Motion, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or another role.