MTI Motion designs and creates customized motion-control solutions for the world’s most demanding applications in numerous industries, including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation. Our innovative portfolio includes high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
The Manufacturing Engineer owns the manufacturing process for their assigned areas. The manufacturing engineer ensures manufacturing processes are safe, produce quality product on time and under budget. The job scope will range from day-to-day support to implementation of new products and processes.
- Be the process expert for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Be a coach and teacher for the production operators.
- Serve as the top problem solvers in production.
- Create and properly maintain process documentation: Work instructions, PFMEA, Control plans, maintenance plans, etc.
- Support day-to-day production as required.
- Optimize all aspects of existing production processes. Safety, quality, delivery and cost.
- Manage Capex projects from identification through justification, implementation and validation.
- Manage all aspects of durable and perishable tooling required for production.
- Create and properly manage BOMS and routings.
- Responsible work measurement to accurately determine capacity and costs.
- Responsible for COPQ: Scrap, rework and returns. Making improvements to reduce and eliminate.
- Work with product development teams to ensure new products transition efficiently to the shop floor and achieve planned profit.
- Properly deploy lean tools and practices throughout operations. Standards work, 5S, TPM, VRK and VSM.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline: Manufacturing, mechanical, electrical or industrial.
- Three to seven years industry experience in rotating equipment design, preferably for electric motors.
- A proven record of developing capable manufacturing processes.
- A proven record of solving difficult problems and improving processes.
- Experience with the proper deployment of lean tools and practices a plus. Examples include: Standard work, 5S, VSM and TPM.
- Ability to work across organizational functions and generate results without direct reporting relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communications.
- Experience with solid works a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with electric motor design and application a plus.
- Experience in leading kaizen, and/or rapid improvement events a plus.
- Formal Green Belt/Black belt training or other problem-solving methods a plus.
- Experience with Minitab a plus.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity (EEOC) employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.
We will ensure individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact MTI Motion to request accommodation.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
At MTI Motion, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or another role.