Every day, MTI Motion associates around the world set the future in motion by solving our customers’ most vexing motion-control challenges. Serving various industries including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation, MTI Motion designs and manufactures an innovative portfolio of custom, precision motion-control products and solutions, including high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for the documentation and specification of equipment for mechanical solutions for both new and existing electric motors/coil/actuator assemblies in a cross-functional engineering team environment. This position has direct contact with customers to understand their specifications/needs and determine the best solution. The ideal candidate will approach the solutions from a systems standpoint and be capable of leading the project through the design/development process. The candidate will take direction from the project manager or engineering manager but needs to be capable of self-managing the day-to-day work.
- Highly skilled at converting customer requirements into electro-mechanical solutions.
- Self-starter, capable of maintaining project organization throughout the new product development process.
- Responsible for CAD component and assembly modeling, initial drawing package and engineering specification creation.
- Understands the applications and implications of GD&T and its effects on the manufacturability and inspection of the parts.
- Able to generate tolerance stack-up studies for mechanical components and assemblies.
- Work with product development project teams as the engineering design lead.
- Participate in hands-on troubleshooting activities, cost-reduction activities, component evaluations and other manufacturing initiatives.
- Collaborates with the test organization to define the testing requirements that align with customer specifications.
- Highly adept at organizing projects from initial directives through fabrication, assembly, QC and initial production.
- Occasional regional and international travel is required (up to 20%)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience is required.
- At least 10 years of experience in design and development with a strong emphasis in the manufacturing process.
- At least five years of electric motor design experience is required.
- Solenoid, electromechanical machines, gear or power screw design experience is a plus.
- Strong materials and finish background preferred.
- Experience in aerospace or defense industry is a plus.
- Minimum of five years of experience doing detailed CAD design. SolidWorks strongly preferred.
- A working knowledge of stress, strain FEA and thermal analysis packages that are available in SolidWorks is beneficial.
- Hands-on troubleshooting and design for manufacturability experience.
- Understanding quality requirements and how inspection will inspect a component based on detailed drawing specifications/tolerances.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.