Every day, MTI Motion associates around the world set the future in motion by solving our customers’ most vexing motion-control challenges. Serving various industries including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation, MTI Motion designs and manufactures an innovative portfolio of custom, precision motion-control products and solutions, including high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
MTI Motion is seeking a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer who will be responsible for the documentation and specification of equipment for mechanical solutions for both new and existing actuator and powertrain assemblies in a cross-functional engineering team environment. In this position, you will directly interact with customers to understand their specification/project requirements and determine the best solution. The ideal candidate will approach the solutions from a systems standpoint and be capable of leading the project through the design/development process. The candidate would take direction from the project manager or engineering manager but needs to be capable of managing the day-to-day work on his/her own.
- Highly skilled at converting customer requirements into electro-mechanical solutions, that include actuator structural design, powertrain design, feedback devices and control systems.
- Design powertrain systems that include electric motors, planetary gearing, custom spur gearing, worm gearing, helical gearing, custom ball screws, customer lead screws, linkages and cams.
- Self-starter, capable of maintaining project organization throughout the new product development (NPD) process.
- Responsible for CAD component and assembly modeling, initial drawing package and engineering specification creation.
- Properly applies GD&T and understands its effects on the manufacturability and inspection of parts and assemblies.
- Able to generate tolerance stack-up studies for mechanical components and assemblies.
- Perform stress/strain calculation by hand and through FEA (Solidworks Simulation).
- Work with the cross-functional NPD team as the engineering design lead.
- Participate in hands-on troubleshooting activities, cost-reduction activities, component evaluations and other manufacturing initiatives.
- Collaborates with the test organization to define the testing requirements that align with customer specifications.
- Highly adept at organizing projects from initial directives through fabrication, assembly, QC and initial production.
- Occasional regional and international travel is required (up to 20%).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering degree.
- At least 10 years of experience in design and development with a strong emphasis in the manufacturing process.
- At least five years of actuator and/or powertrain experience is required.
- Solenoid or electrical machine design experience a plus.
- Must have extensive experience selecting proper materials and finishes.
- Experience with aerospace or defense applications is a plus.
- Minimum of five years of experience doing detailed CAD design. Solidworks strongly preferred.
- Experienced at performing stress/strain FEA, preferably using Solidworks Simulation. Thermal analysis/FEA is beneficial.
- Hands-on troubleshooting and design for manufacturability experience
- Understanding quality requirements and how they affect the design (AS9100 quality systems experience a plus). Understand how drawing specifications/tolerances may affect inspection requirements.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.