Every day, MTI Motion associates around the world set the future in motion by solving our customers’ most vexing motion-control challenges. Serving various industries including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation, MTI Motion designs and manufactures an innovative portfolio of custom, precision motion-control products and solutions, including high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement.
MTI Motion is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
MTI Motion is seeking a Manufacturing Engineering Manager to effectively manage the manufacturing engineering department. This role will motivate, manage and measure the performance of the department while supporting continuous-improvement initiatives in manufacturing to ensure safety, quality, delivery, inventory and productivity objectives are met.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Responsible for assisting, directing, and training the Manufacturing Engineering team
- Provides support to the Plant Manager and other manufacturing leaders
- Ensures that, as the company grows, manufacturing capabilities meet or exceed all industry and customer requirements for cost, quality and responsiveness
- Make business recommendations on capital expenditures, leads the process and drives implementation
- Reviews engineering designs and drawings and recommends changes to provide for improved productivity as part of our concurrent engineering process
- Investigates and recommends resolution of production problems and works with engineers and operations personnel in implementing changes
- Analyzes engineering sketches, specifications and related data and drawings to determine design factors such as size, shape and arrangement of parts
- Guides department and prepares project reports
- Leads department in cost-reduction activities, component evaluations, and other manufacturing initiatives to support continuous improvement
- Interfaces with Design Engineering, Quality, Purchasing, Operations, and Sales Departments; and supports the leadership of these departments
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Manufacturing or related engineering.
- Three-plus years industry experience in rotating equipment design, preferably for electric motors.
- Two-plus years of direct leadership experience preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with electric motor design and application a plus.
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical, communication and networking skills.
- Team attitude; eager to cooperate with others with exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with ISO 9000 quality standards, AS 9100 or equivalent.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills with the ability to effectively delegate work to subordinates, and the ability to evaluate and positively influence performance.
- Lean manufacturing experience with Six Sigma Black Belt preferred.
- Direct experience in a lean environment is desired (value-stream mapping, Kaizen leadership, 5S, etc.).
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
MTI Motion is an equal employment opportunity employer such that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or other legally protected status.