Every day, MTI associates around the world set the future in motion by solving our customers’ most vexing motion-control challenges. Serving various industries, including commercial aerospace, defense, oil and gas, and transportation, MTI designs and manufactures an innovative portfolio of custom, precision motion-control products and solutions, including high-performance motors, drives and controllers, as well as windings, gears and ball screws.
We’re committed to promoting a collaborative team environment that focuses on accountability, honesty and integrity to ensure customer satisfaction. We take pride in the work we perform and are committed to continuous improvement. In addition to offering a competitive benefits package, we strive to offer our employees opportunities to achieve career advancement. MTI is a wholly owned operating company within the Steel Partners (NYSE: SPLP) family of companies and is headquartered in Pleasant Prairie, WI, with facilities worldwide.
MTI is seeking a Director of BD primarily responsible for supporting existing business and for identifying, qualifying and capturing new business opportunities for the MTI portfolio. The Director will contribute to the prioritization of new business pursuits, and provide guidance and support to senior leadership regarding business investments.
Principle interactions: Army Futures Command, PEO GCS, CCDC GVS, MCoE, CCDC AC, ARL, DARPA, PEO Aviation, TSMO, AFRL, AFLC, NASIC, Aberdeen Proving Ground (APG) and other organizations to identify, qualify and create new business opportunities.
The Director will develop and maintain close, trusted partner relationships with offices of senior military and civilian U.S. government customers, prime contractors, current and prospective customers, as well as industry partners and suppliers. The customers include all relevant DoD areas for requirements, budgeting, programming, acquisition, fielding, and test and evaluation. The Director will assist customers in meeting their requirements and capability gaps with those capabilities, products and technologies available or being developed by MTI. The incumbent will coordinate with business development and engineering personnel in preparing, editing and presenting briefings, hosting discussions with customers, influencers and partners, and will support MTI through attendance at trade association meetings, industry days, symposiums, professional events, conferences and tradeshows.
Successful candidate has an agile, innovative mindset and an entrepreneurial business approach. Demonstrated and proven track record of identifying and winning new business. Can leverage established relationships at senior military and civilian U.S. government customer level, and execute and build the gravity of purpose and connections to win and close deals.
Minimum of 10 years of relevant business development and/or customer mission experience.
- Develop, implement, and manage processes and strategies for new business capture that results in competitive capture and an improved win rate, including proposal management support that ultimately drives profitable growth.
- Ability to identify, establish and use important customer relationships with senior level officials and program stakeholders within defense and intelligence communities
- Demonstrated success in leading and growing business with the DoD, Air Force or U.S. Army.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current DoD, Air Force or U.S. Army programs and platforms relating to electromechanical, actuation technologies, systems or sub-systems integration
- Experience leading opportunity captures, including developing overall win strategy; shaping deals with customers; developing teaming strategies, identifying, and closing with teammates; understanding pricing and assisting in developing winning price.
- Demonstrated background in solution selling, developing new markets, with proven leadership from inception to fruition of a strategic campaign.
- Led or directed new business development opportunities to improve the company’s business portfolio.
- Knowledge of government contracting methodologies and current acquisition trends and customer-funding cycles.
- Knowledge of competitors and ability to model competitor behaviors in the market.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with experience presenting to senior executives and customers.
- High-energy individual, who will drive performance and exhibit strong selling skills.
- Engineering , science or business degree.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an active DOD (Department of Defense) Secret clearance.